Zakah on Livestock
Well, we figured you won't need a Calculator for this, for it is best explained in a bit more Details, with numbers of course. We are here to help insha'Allah if you need additional information.
The Ruling Of Zakah On Cattle:
The Prophet ﷺ said: “... If any owner of the camel does not pay what is due on him, and of his due in that (camel) is (also) to milk it on the day when it comes down to water. When the Day of Resurrection comes a soft sandy plain would be set for him, as extensive as possible, (he will find) that not a single young one is missing, and they will trample him with their hoofs and bite him with their mouths. As often as the first of them passes him, the last of them would be made to return during a day the extent of which would be fifty thousand years, until judgment is pronounced among servants and he sees whether his path is to take him to Paradise or to Hell. It was (again) said: Messenger of Allah, what about cows (cattle) and sheep? He said: It any owner of the cattle and sheep does not pay what is due on them, when the Day of Resurrection comes a soft sandy plain would be spread for them, he will find none of them missing, with twisted horns, without horns or with a broken horn, and they will gore him with their horns and trample him with their hoofs. As often as the first of them passes him the last of them would be made to return to him during a day the extent of which would be fifty thousand years, until judgment would be pronounced among the servants. And he would be shown his path-path leading him to Paradise or to Hell...” [Muslim]
Conditions Necessitating Zakah on Cattle:
- Lapse of a full Hijra year while the animals are with the owner.
- It must be grazed livestock. A grazed camel is that which is fed by eating from plants of the earth and permissible grass i.e. that which grows by Allah’s command without being cultivated by anybody. However, if it feeds on cultivated crops; then it is not regarded as a grazed camel and Zakah is not due on it.
- It must be kept for some benefit, either from its milk or offspring, and not used as a working camel. A working camel is that which is employed by its owner to till or irrigate the land, carry goods or lift loads.
- Zakah is not payable on a working camel, because they are counted as part of the basic needs of man, like clothing. If it is rented / hired to others, Zakah is due on whatever rent is derived from it (after a Hijri year has lapsed on it).
- The cattle must attain the Nisab prescribed by the Messenger of Allah ﷺ.
The Prescribed Nisab for Cattle
Nisab & Zakah on camels
Number of camels Measure of mandatory Zakah to be paid
|NUMBERS OF CAMELS||ZAKAH DUE|
|1-4 Camels||No Zakah Due|
|5-9 Camels||One Sheep|
|10-14 Camels||Two Sheep|
|15-19 Camels||Three Sheep|
|20-24 Camels||Four Sheep|
|25-35 Camels||One she-camel (above one year of age)|
|36-45 Camels||One she-camel (above two years of age)|
|46-60 Camels||One she-camel (above three years of age)|
|61-75 Camels||One she-camel (above four years of age)|
|76-90 Camels||Two she-camels (above two years of age)|
|91-120 Camels||Two she-camels (above three years of age)|
|Above 120 Camels||For every forty: a she-camel (above 2 years), and for every fifty: a she-camel (above 3 years)|
Nisab & Zakah on cows
Number of cows Obligatory measure of Zakah to be paid
|NUMBERS OF COWS/BULLS||ZAKAH DUE|
|1-29 Cows/Buffalos||No Zakah Due|
|30-39 Cows/Buffalos||One cow/bull aged one year|
|40-59 Cows/Buffalos||One cows/bulls aged two years|
|60-69 Cows/Buffalos||Two cows/bulls aged one year|
|70-79 Cows/Buffalos||One cow/bull aged two years & One cow/bull aged one years|
|80-89 Cows/Buffalos||Two cows/bulls aged two years|
|90-99 Cows/Buffalos||Three cows/bulls aged two years|
Nisab & Zakah on sheep/goats
Number of sheep / goats Obligatory measure of Zakah to be paid
|NUMBERS OF SHEEP/GOATS||ZAKAH DUE|
|1-39 Sheep/Goats||No Zakah Due|
|40-120 Sheep/Goats||One Sheep/Goat|
|121-200 Sheep/Goats||Two Sheep/Goats|
|201-300 Sheep/Goats||Three Sheep/Goats|
|On every additional hundred more, an extra sheep is added|
The Islamic Heritage Center (IHC) distributes your Zakah to the poor and the needy people. If you want to pay your Zakah ONLINE click the "Pay Zakah" button below